Blissfully Happy

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Just to See You Again

I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Wondering how you are doing, what you're up to. I should know by now that my thoughts are, more often than not, premonitions of things to come. So it shouldn't have surprised me when I saw your brother in our new congregation.

I haven't seen you in far too long - over two years ago at my wedding. That's not like us. We're used to being in each others' lives even when we live in different countries. You were my best friend, besides Aphrodite. You were my back-up date and I was yours. You always seemed to know when I was missing you and needed to hear from you. You would invite me to a concert, or I would sneak down to see you in the middle of a work-week. I sent you packages when you lived in Brazil and even with their unreliable mail system we still stayed in touch.

Then it was my turn to leave. You tried to talk me into staying. I thought maybe you thought I would mess up. You just wanted to further our relationship. And there was a time I had wanted that to. We never seemed to want it at the same time. They all tried to talk me into kissing you. You even egged me on but I knew our friendship was more important than anything that could come of me kissing you.

And it was for the best. You were engaged when I returned. We're both married to different people and that's how it should be. I don't regret that. I just regret that we haven't stayed in touch since then. I have a baby now. You don't know that. Maybe you have one too, I don't know. But I miss you. Maybe it's fate that I saw your brother. Maybe this means we really are supposed to be a part of each others' lives for the rest of our lives. I guess we'll see...