Blissfully Happy

Friday, April 01, 2005

About a week ago I was driving along in my car, enjoying the tunes on the radio. I got to my apartment complex and got out of the car to check the mail. When I got back in the car my radio wouldn't work. I pushed every button and turned every dial but to no end. Not only was the radio not working but neither was the clock on the radio. I told Hubby when he got home and he figured maybe it was a loose wire or something. I had planned to call the dealership to see what they suggested but my week got really really busy and I just didn't have the time. My warranty had just run out and didn't have the money to fix it if they had to take the whole stereo out of the car to fix it anyway.

Yesterday (a week since the radio episode), I got in my car to go to class and put the key in the ignition, turned it, and... nothing. Just a little wheeze from the engine. I was sitting there silently freaking out, not knowing what to do, I know pretty much nothing about cars but it sounded like it could have been the battery, when I realized the radio was working. What the...? My car wouldn't start but hey, at least the radio was working again. That's progress for you.

I called my mom since Hubby was at work and I was on my way over to her house to start my laundry (I LOVE living in an apartment with no laundry hook-ups) and she came and picked me up. After class we called AAA (not Alcoholics Anonymous, see, there's an extra A) and they came to see if they could start my car or tow it if necessary. Nice AAA guys. Sure enough, it was the battery. Maybe I know more about cars than I thought I did. Not that that makes it any cheaper to fix. They checked the charge on the battery... nothing. This battery was as dead as they come. Fortunately the nice AAA man was able to call someone and an hour and $100 later (with 5 year warranty!) I had a brand new battery (you can tell, it's the cleanest thing under the hood) and both car and radio were in perfect working order.

At least I didn't have to have the stereo ripped from the interior of my car.